Sunday, January 9, 2011

My First Local Honey (at least I’m willing to admit it!)

How can I be over 55 and never have tasted “local” honey? In fact, I only recently heard about how local honey can help allergy sufferers.   Like some of us, I haven’t been paying too much attention to the honey that I’ve been buying other than to make sure it is made in the USA.  What a surprise when I went to check the leftover brand in my cupboard tonight
and read the label stating “may contain product of USA and Canada”.   “MAY!”?  And what if it doesn’t? Then where does it come from? Don’t they know?



So tasting Rebecca’s Bees honey has been my first experience with local honey and I never imagined it would taste like it does. It is so different than what I expected and it is truthfully way beyond good!  I did a “sniff test” and compared the fragrance of the god-knows-where honey (GNW) with Rebecca’s Bees which was harvested from hives in Largo.  The GNW smells sickening sweet.  The fragrance of Rebecca’s honey has an aromatherapy impact (on me) perhaps because is it raw, untreated, and unfiltered (?) Experiencing this honey, I feel transported to a quiet field of sunshine and flowers… My taste buds interpret this delightful honey as silky smooth, buttery tasting, with almost a hint of orange nectar. I have no idea how it is supposed to taste and isn’t that a wonderful thing not to have a preconceived notion of what something should taste like?  That doesn’t happen as often as it used to!  LOL
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I found this blog. I'm now looking forward to buying some honey from Rebecca soon. I love giving independent people my business and helping them out. Take care.

    ReplyDelete