Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pesto Craving Resolved

I just had to have pesto today and I decided to be adventurous at lunchtime. It paid off...  I toasted pine nuts and walnuts and scored the peel off one of Annie's (of Annie's Urban Farm fame) fresh Meyer's lemons and then juiced just half of it. They are very juicy. I gathered small amounts of kale, swiss chard, arugula flower tops, brussel sprout leaves and washed and lightly towel dried them all. Then I put it all into the food processor adding sea salt, fresh ground pepper, solid salted BUTTER (yum), extra virgin olive oil, the lemon juice and peel, all the nuts and some parseman cheese. 

I actually forgot to
put in garlic but it didn't seem to matter.  The resulting pesto had a robust flavor with a nice hint of lemon butter.  I decided to leave the texture more chunky for this recipe. That's the fun of making pesto! 
Since I just cannot seem to adapt to whole wheat pasta (and I really do keep trying) I cooked regular macaroni. I wanted to enjoy this one and, believe me, I really did....   The leftovers keep really well for a few weeks and I can always use some when I make other dishes and I'm adding seasonings.
Next time, I plan to try the Superfood Pesto recipe at the link below!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment